Equitable Property Distribution Lawyers in Greater New York
Equitable distribution of marital property in a divorce applies to any assets acquired during the marriage. An attorney from Miller Zeiderman LLP can help you determine which assets will be considered for equitable distribution and how to protect your entitlement to property during the proceedings.
Property subject to equitable distribution may include:
- Property acquired during the marriage, regardless of in whose name it is held;
- Pensions and retirement accounts, regardless of in whose name they are held;
- Businesses commenced during the marriage;
- Deferred compensation;
- Increase in value to real or personal property acquired before the marriage if the appreciation in value is due to the efforts of one or both of the parties. The pre-marital value retains its identity as separate property;
- Property received as a gift, including those received from your spouse.