New York City and Westchester Visitation Attorneys Resolving Cases of Legal Custody & Visitation Rights

One of the key child-related issues to be settled during a divorce is that of physical custody. Once a legal custody agreement has been determined, there are additional issues of visitation or access to be considered. Until the child reaches 18 years of age, a New York State court will rule on all custody and visitation matters unless both parents can agree to a schedule. The visitation agreement is usually included as part of a parenting plan or settlement agreement.

In the majority of divorce or separation cases, the court prefers that children retain contact with both parents. Therefore, whichever parent is not awarded residential or physical custody will have access to the child in accordance with a set visitation schedule, unless the parents mutually agree to deviate from the schedule.

Visitation Arrangements For Non-Custodial Parents

There are several types of visits that may be included on a visitation schedule for a non-custodial parent. These include:

  • Weekends, holidays, and weeknight visits, during which the non-custodial parent has unencumbered visitation with their child.
  • Supervised visits, during which a parent is not permitted to be alone with the child. Supervision is required if there are concerns regarding the child’s physical and/or emotional safety in the care of the non-custodial parent.
  • Therapeutic visits, during which a mental health professional supervises the parent with the child and makes suggestions to improve the relationship.

Securing Grandparents’ Rights To Visitation

A grandparent may request visitation rights in New York State if either parent of the child has died or if the court determines that it is appropriate to intervene to secure grandparental visitation. If you are a grandparent wondering if you have a case for visitation rights, seek the counsel of a visitation attorney from Miller Zeiderman LLP today.

Attorneys Defending Access & Visitation Rights in New York State

If you have already obtained a visitation order that the other parent has failed to follow, you can seek to have it modified or enforced. If you have questions or concerns about child visitation or access rights in the greater NYC area, do not hesitate to seek the counsel of a qualified New York City and Westchester visitation attorney. Contact the law offices of Miller Zeiderman LLP to schedule a consultation.

Skip to content